Tuesday 10 September 2013

A Sick Day 


Just last week she was fine. She went off to her first day of school in great spirits.  By Thursday she was not.  She was not fine, she did not go off to school nicely.  In fact she pitched a fit, refused to walk and then when i said I'd drive , she refused to get out of the car.  I got out, in my pyjamas, if you live in our neighbourhood you probably giggled at my red polka dotted p.'s.  See had I known I'd have to get out of the van to get her up off the sidewalk I'd of  gotten dressed.  For sure I'd of gotten dressed if I knew I would have to actually walk her to the gate of the school yard.  But alas I had no idea.  She just plain didn't want to go.  She wouldn't say why.  She wasn't sick, or so I thought.
You see, Abby has struggled with bladder issues since she was a baby.  So if she doesn't tell me her symptoms, I just assume she's ok.  I didn't notice anything, until the weekend.  So does that mean she was feeling yucky and sore all that time?  I'm not sure.  She won't tell me if she feels like she is getting a UTI because she doesn't know herself.  So it's always a waiting game.  She so used to feeling sore that she now even refuses to drink the water she so desperately needs to make her feel better.
Yesterday though she presented with a fever and sure enough the doctor confirmed it was indeed a urinary tract infection.  AGAIN. At this point she was in so much discomfort.  I wish I had known earlier.  Could that be the reason for her challenging behaviours?  How often have I missed an infection?
So today she is home, having a sick day when she's just really beginning to feel better.  (she was home yesterday too)  She is enjoying herself, happy and content.
In a few weeks we will be back at McMaster for yet more tests to see why she keeps getting infections, despite her having healthy bladder classes last March, despite her being on a low dose anti biotic to try and ward off infections.
I just want my little girl to feel better, to feel better all the time.
..
LP

1 comment: